Monday, July 7, 2008

Read On, Read On, Read until Your Dreams Come True!

It has been 10 years or more since my friend Lisa made me a cute bookmark. Unfortunately I have lost it but that was the saying she made for the front of it. While I was reading all my favorite blogs today, I realized that I have not mentioned my progress on my 52 Great Books to Read.

I did finish Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence. The book was a little boring for the first half. Then it really took off maybe because I had to wait so long for a good sex scene. I mean DH really took his time in getting there. Lady C's hubby was a dud not because he was crippled in WW I but because he was emotionally crippled and an arrogant, needy prig. She finally finds romantic, physical and emotional love. I get why the book was banned in 1928, I mean leaving a lord for the handyman would cause quite a stir and really upset the status quo.

Next up was The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It was awesome! A very fast read and way more interesting even though there was no sex scene at all. Maybe it was all the sewing...I was very jealous of her beautiful "A". I want one for me but just because my real name starts with an A. Really! But back to the book...I could not put it down. I kept picturing Demi Moore. I think that version was completely different. So I am glad I read the book and now I want to see the movie again to see how different it was because dementia has definitely set in. Just glad I don't live in 17th century puritanical Boston.

Speaking of Beantown, we just saw Gone Baby, Gone. It was really good and depressing at the same time. Casey Afflek is really quite an amazing actor much better than his big bro...and I love the fact that he has not taken a single acting class. I must say both the book and the movie have discouraged me to move to Boston, which I always wanted to do. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for visiting.

No comments: