Saturday, August 30, 2008

August is Over!

It is Labor Day weekend and I actually did get to my August to do list.

I met up with some friends (Eddie, Dlee, Rowell and Loretta) to see the Dale Chihuly exhibit but our cards did not work. Turns out the De Young and Legion of Honor are cracking down and you need to have your name on the card to get into the museum. They are checking ids which is probably a good thing since it aways seems like the arts are broke. So we decided to save our money and get drunk at the Little Shamrock on 9th and Lincoln but at least we tried and we had a good time.

CC and I did finally make it to the Oakland Museum to see the Birth of Cool exhibit and it was pretty good. I learned a lot about a time period that I love. I now want to read Naked Lunch and The Holy Barbarians. And I found out that Charles and Ray Eames were a married couple not brothers. I love their design.

I also went to Stitch Lounge on Gough to take a basic sewing class and I enjoyed it. I made a little baggie. It is not all that cute but at least I learned some skills and today I went back to use the machines and sewed on a bunch of patches. Not the worlds best sewing job because it is hard to sew in a circle. But I got it done! Another good thing about going today is that I found out there is a fabric sale going on at WhizBang. $5 for a yard of fabric. I want to take a few more classes then see about maybe making a dress or pants or something. Also thinking of picking up one of Stitch's books.

I went to the Outland Festival with my sis, Slugo, and three cousins from Mexico; we also met up with Gret and Dave. I was a bit disappointed. There were all these stages but it was hard to see the artists and a lot of walking back and forth. Steel Pulse was good and so was Lyrics Born, Beck was alright -- hard to see and his voice kept coming in and out. Radiohead, the big headliners for the event, were just okay. Basically, i would have been happier had they played Creep but they did play Karma Police and Fake Plastic Trees. The power kept going out and they played a lot more electronica then I would have liked. I should have stayed to see all of Beck but to make your way from one stage to the next caused this big bottle neck and I did not want to get stuck in it. Luckily people were smart enough to tear down the inner fencing. I did get binoculars for the event but the ones I wanted got sold. I bought this other pair but the case was falling apart and they had a magnification of a 1,000' or whatever you call it. The ones I wanted were way more rocking and I should have just got them the 1st time I saw them instead of being a cheap skate. Anyway, I'll have them for Madonna and maybe Vincente Fernandez. (Wow this paragraph sounded a bit whinny!)

On Sunday August the 24th, sis and I went to the RockMake Street Fair that was only one street long but was quite good. It was supper hot and they really should have sold some beverages. I saw this cool purse but it was out of my budget so I opted for a belt buckle which I will have to post a picture of later. Its got this groovy beach them. It is from the Booty Boutique. I also got an Emily Jane White CD; she performed but I sort of missed it. I caught the tail end and she sounded good. All these other people were clamoring for a CD so I basically jumped on the band wagon and got it since it was only $10. Very stoked about my purchases and CC got this cool handcuff necklace.

So now September is here and there are plenty of things to do. The SF Film Society is going to show "An American in Paris" staring Gene Kelly at the Presidio and I really want to see that. I love that film and to see it on a big screen would be so cool. Hopefully it will be a nice night. I've still got to make it to the SFMOMA to see the Frida exhibit and hopefully it won't be that packed. And of course they are closing 3rd St in September so I hope to get down there and sk8. (I'm sure there is more but I guess you all just have to wait!)

No comments: